Disclaimer: This is blog entry was written by a guest poster. Check them out at the bottom of the post in addition to a freebie!
Here’s the truth about working from home, whether you’re a freelancer, remote worker or self-made entrepreneur: you’ll always have something better to do than work. That’s why “productivity tips” is the no.1 phrase used by freelancers who have no idea how to get their lives together… This will be a story on how you’ll get there as well!
Glorious vision of “Being your own boss”
It always starts with a great excitement – being your own boss sounds like there literally can’t be anything better than that in your life! And it really is an enjoyable experience: working on your own chosen projects, working with clients you prefer and in hours that work the best for you, taking as many vacations as one could imagine, meeting your friends for a coffee in the middle of the day for as long as you set yourself up to, and Instagramming your happy days away.
Right until the reality kicks in.
THE BEGINNER PHASE
Most of the new freelancers, sooner or later, go through this beginner phase of working from home. Here’s how it works:
- You’ll never “dress-up” but you will spend your days in pajamas instead;
- At some point, you’ll realize that all you really want to do in pajamas is binge-watching Netflix or Youtube;
- Your “office” bed (because bed, obviously, is your office now but you still have to call it somehow official) won’t feel as comfortable anymore when you’ve already spent there more than few days in a row;
- The kitchen will always be too close. Meaning, you’ll always find yourself eating your life away;
- At some point, you’ll decide to “be normal” again and come up with a plan for healthy living, productive working from home and yes, this is where this story actually begins!
THE Hustler PHASE
I came to the point where I wanted to feel serious about what I do and make it look more serious to others as well. So… I had to give up on my bed + pajamas phase. If you’re sitting in your bed while reading this – no worries, it’s not all that bad. You’ll be fine! Here’s how this phase looks like:
- You’ve come up with the PLAN. For a week, few months and maybe even years. Because you KNOW what you want and you’re SO confident you could do some serious karate-brick-kicking moves;
- You have your own office space. Or, well, at least – you’ve moved to the table. Most likely, you have some colorful post-it notes all around you;
- Planner and some colorful pens is just a part of the process (by the way, there’s a free one below);
- You’ve read few articles on how to be more productive, you’ve tried out “eating the frog” and “pomodoro technique” (I can only congratulate you if you don’t know what are these!) and you’re kind of on a fire!
Until you’re not.
THE “Okay, this is my life now” PHASE
This is the phase in your working from home career when you actually start doing things and you realize that nothing will really ever truly be “done” because there’s always so much more to do! This phase might look like:
- You’ve given up on your plans or you’ve rewritten them at least few times, adjusting them to “the reality”;
- You’ve run out of post-it notes but you’re not rushing to get any more of those;
- You try to slow down instead of rushing things because now you know – nothing will run away from you anyways;
- You’re working from home. You kind of like it. Sometimes you feel sad about being all alone.
- You try out coworking spaces but they’re just too much for you right now. You get used to being on your own.
- You have work to do so you don’t have time for lunchtime coffee with a friend. You don’t remember the last time you took a vacation but it’s alright because you’ve become a workaholic and you’d be devastated without your computer.
- You’re thinking about some new projects but they rarely have any space in your “real” plan. You still try to make them happen but after a while you realize that you’re enjoying your current daily workflow.
- You understand that this is your life now.
It’s all in your hands
At the end of the day – our life is what we make out of it! Working from home or being your own boss won’t bring you any happiness unless you’ll work for it. Working from home, just like going to the office, can come with a routine. You can get bored and you’ll be lazy. At the same time, the beauty of working from home is simple – it’s all in your hands!
So let’s raise our healthy smoothie glasses to making dreams happen!